Recycling Fun Facts
Recycling a glass jar saves enough energy to light a light bulb for four hours
One recycled aluminum can generates 3 hours’ worth of TV time
Recycled Paper from Southern California is one of the major exports
- Plastice - most plastics are now made of recyclable plastic (all bottle shaped plastics)
- Newspapers & all inserts - save a tree or two each week
- Cardboard - crush by stepping on the sides of boxes
- Glass - rinse out to avoid attracking insects
- Metal - also rinse these - do this after washing the dishes each night
- Grass Clippings
- Tree Trimmings
---NO:trash, palm fronds, twine, plastic, food scraps, animal waste, yucca, dirt
- Eyewear The Lions Clubs operate the largest program, collecting glasses from thousands of opticians. Also contact LensCrafters about their programs.
- Holiday Cards - Saint Jude's Ranch, a non-profit youth home, has operated a holiday card reuse program for the past 25 years. The kids operate a business taking used greeting cards, neatly cutting off the front covers, gluing on new back covers, and selling the result. Send either entire cards, or cards with the backs cut off via UPS ground or the "bound printed matter" rate at the post office to: St. Jude's Card Recycling, 100 St. Jude Street, Post Office Box 60100, Boulder City, NV 89006.
- Sneakers & Athletic Shoes - Nike corporation grinds up shoes and reuses some of the components for athletic mats, which are donated to good causes. Call 1-800-352-NIKE.
Solid Waste Solutions
25 W. Rolling Oaks Dr., Suite 201, Thousand Oaks CA 91361
© COPYRIGHT - Solid Waste Solutions, Inc. 2007